Monday, September 12, 2011

So very grateful...blessing indeed!!!


O my I just erased half my blog...Well Good News is the bearer of all good things to come... I just got the good news this morning as I was dropping Victoria off to school. My lawyer had called and said that my Social Security was approved...I'm so blessed I couldn't believe my ears it's only been about four months. I didn't have to go through any other issues seeing different doctors etc..This is the doing Of My Heavenly Father above. With much much prayer and trying to clean my life as much as possible I my dues are to him. I'm ever so grateful. I feel numb and want someone to plz pinch me...I want to thank Westside counseling for helping me and providing me with a lawyer.. Before this I had been struggling with Cal works across the Bay cutting me off and trying to make me take other meds..I can't really express all that I'm feeling..I just know God had something to do with it..I feel it in my heart. It makes me want to do his will all that much more. I have been so worried between Vee and all her problems and great worry for her to survive. This just makes it a little bit easier to deal with the things. Not to worry where money is going to come from..I was constantly thinking just make me better enough I could do some kind of work. Or how could I do something to make money and just going in circles of what to do...I'm just so so so grateful...
Well I had all the intentions of coming to share my weekend with you..so let me do so..I just had to get that out...
I ended up baking a apple pie and making oxtail beef soup... I had all these little apples that came off the tree next store some were on the floor in the garden and some where just there. The man that lives there in the year that I have been there only came out twice so I figured the rest would end up on the floor as well. So I gathered up the ones I had gotten and peeled them up and sliced them to prepare them for pie...



So here are the results. I have been using this recipe for years and it seems to sit well with me..I like my pies a little bit tart with a little sweet..I don't know what you like
This recipe make enough for one double crust pie, 9-inch. if you just need one you can freeze the other for a few days up to three months.

2 1/4 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups (12 tablespoons) solid lard..I use Crisco
4-5 tablespoons cold water ( I needed one more )

In a bowl, stir together flour and salt. With a pasyry cutter cut shortening into
flour until particles are about the size of small peas.
Pour water into a cup. While stirring lightly and quickly with a fork. sprinkle water over mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, (up to the 4) just until all flour is moistened. If mixture seems dry add table spoon the remaining one from five. Mixture should not be wet or sticky. Stir with fork until dough forms a ball and almost cleans sides of bowl. With your hands gather up mixture into a ball. Divide ball into half and flatten each half into a 4-inch round. Wrap each with plastic and refrigerate for one hour to allow dough to rest. Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick and 2 inches larger than pie pan. I used the plastic wrap one on top and bottom it just makes it easier ( I never used to but my hands don't work as well and it just made it simpler) Take plastic off folding gently in half then lay across pie dish and unfold evenly. Set aside and roll out other. set aside..
Filling:
8 cups of peeled, cored and sliced apples. (Gravenstein, Jonathan, Pippin or Granny Smith..lol I don't even know what kind of apples I had.)
1 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 ground ginger
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
milk sm amount

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Do the crust if not done. Place apple slices in large bowl. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and ginger; stir to blend well; set aside. Roll out pastry for bottom crust. Place apples in pastry shell, mounding them a little in center. Pour in any remaining juice from bowl. Then dot with butter. Roll out crust place over filling and flute edge to seal.. Brush topp lightly with milk. To prevent excess browning of rim, wrap edge with foil. Set pie on rimmed baking sheet and bake on lowest rack of oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for 20 to 30 minutes more or until apples are fork tender. . Let cool Serve warm or room temp.

I have been making this pie for more than 30 years. I have tried other but I like this one... maybe you will too...from Sunset one of my first cook books...


I hope you enjoy it....

I also made Oxtail beef soup....using a few vegetables from the garden...


It was all great...I also had my oldest daughter and three grandchildren came to visit they loved the pie...I'm tired out today from cleaning after they left all till late nite..but house is totally clean...just need to dust the hutch...I'm ready to pick up Vee go home hang out some clothes and curl up on the couch and just crochet ... wishing you all a great afternoon....

....................Blessed by My Heavenly Father.........................


HERE WHAT I ENDED UP WITH MY BED FOR NOW...DIDN'T FINISH IT ALL THOUGH..

1 comment:

  1. I am pleased to hear that everything seems to be falling into place for you and your family :)
    That apple pie looks pretty yummy, I will have to have a go at making one soon, with some of the apples in my backyard (I may add a few blackberries as well).
    I like the pillowcases/cushions on your bed :)

    ReplyDelete