Thursday, December 8, 2011

A SAVORY TART WITH LOVE

WELL, I KIND OF GOT THIS IDEA IN MY HEAD BECAUSE I HAD PULLED SOME SWISS CHARD FROM THE GARDEN AND I DIDN'T WANT TO DO THE SAME OLE THING. SO I WENT SURFING LOOKING FOR THE VERY THING I WANTED BUT COULDN'T REALLY FIND IT. BUT I FOUND THIS GREAT TART DOUGH RECIPE...SO I GOT TO MAKING IT AND I LOVE LOVE THE DOUGH IT'S IN MY OPINION A GREAT DOUGH. SO HERE GOES.


Tart Dough
For pastry dough:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 to 8 tablespoons ice water
I also added a half teaspoon of this really nice Italian seasoning I had found...

Make pastry dough:
Blend together flour, butter, and salt in a bowl with your fingertips or a pastry blender (or pulse in a food processor) just until mixture resembles coarse meal with some roughly pea-size butter lumps. Drizzle 5 tablespoons ice water evenly over mixture and gently stir with a fork (or pulse) until incorporated. Squeeze a small handful of dough: If dough doesn’t hold together, add more ice water, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, stirring until incorporated. Do not overwork dough, or pastry will be tough.

Turn out dough onto a work surface and divide into 4 portions. With heel of your hand, smear each portion once or twice in a forward motion to help distribute fat. Gather all of dough together, with a pastry scraper if you have one, and form into 2 (5-inch) squares. Chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, until firm, at least 1 hour.
Make tart shells:
Arrange flan rings on 2 parchment-paper-lined baking sheets. Roll out 1 portion of dough on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 16- by 10-inch rectangle. Cut into 6 rough squares. Gently fit each square into a ring (do not stretch dough). Trim excess dough flush with rim. Lightly prick each shell several times with a fork and chill until firm, about 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough and rings.

Preheat oven to 375°F with racks in upper and lower thirds.

Line shells with foil (not heavy-duty) and fill with pie weights. Bake until sides are set, about 20 minutes. Carefully remove weights and foil and bake shells until golden-brown all over, 5 to 8 minutes. Cool completely on baking sheets on racks, then remove flan rings.

Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
After preparing the shell and cooking them I put my Swiss Chard and put Colby cheese on top and bake till golden and bubbly...

Swiss Chard, One bunch from the garden, washed and cut up into tiny slices when rolling it up... sliced one white onion and sauteed it in a tablespoon of oil adding a teaspoon of sugar. browned them very well and just before finishing added three cloves of garlic sliced as well cooking till lite golden. I removed the onions and added two sliced Roma tomato's added the Chard and let cook down when I finished I added back the caramelized onion. set aside. Took out the dough and made the circles didn't have the ring on hand so just made my own cooked them with the beans and foil then removed that and put the Chard and some Colby cheese and return to the oven cooked until Colby Cheese was melted and cut up and served.
I think the dough is great and can be used for many different things... I want to make a custard pie with it...Everyone here liked the Savory Tart except my son lol... but Mom and my brother and myself liked it....Hope that you try it. . . I thought they would be nice for a Tea with friends and a nice Salad....Enjoy your day today with love Janice

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! This will be a great way to use up some of the swiss chard I have still in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was for me magie...I thought it was great....hope you like it

    ReplyDelete