Friday, August 12, 2011

Everything Is All Wrong



Well all is not good, Everything with Ben blew up...cause I said Good bye...but it was already stirring up...I'm confused by his words...anyhow I don't want to dwell on that. So lets change the everything is all wrong to going to make it right... I here at Mom's that's the only time I can get online. Or if I go to my son's house. So wish I had a laptop or something at home... Yesterday I woke up and cooked up a storm. I make a peach cake... instead of a plum cake I changed it to peaches because I didn't have plums..I lol had peaches.








Yum Plum Skillet Cake (adapted from Martha Stewart):

1 cup flour (plus more for the skillet)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of coarse salt

4 tablespoons of softened butter (plus more for greasing the skillet)
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla (I added this for good luck!)
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 medium ripe plums, thinly sliced
2 tbsp raw (turbinado) sugar for the top

The recipe calls for an 8" cast iron skillet, but I only own a 9", which worked out fine.

Grease the skillet with butter and dust it with flour, shake out the excess.

Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl, set aside.

Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla (if using) and egg together until pale yellow.
Gradually mix in some flour and some buttermilk, then more flour, more buttermilk.
Pour the batter into the prepared cast iron skillet.
Slice the 2 plums into slices and fan them on top of the batter.
This is not rocket science.

Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of raw sugar on top and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool in the pan before serving
Here's
what I did was instead of plums....I used some peaches I had, mixing them with brown sugar and chopped walnuts...it came out great.

Give it a try is turned out great in my eyes, Well Mom like it as well...




I also roasted some cauliflower, sliced Roma tomatoes, I put some minced garlic, Lemon zest, Lemon Thyme, salt and pepper, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice. mixed it all up and roasted it at 350. till it was tender maybe about 30 minutes depending on your oven ... just check it after 30 minutes then every 10 minutes...I made some beets as well...cooked them sliced them and sprinkled them with salt and pepper Olive oil and red wine vinegar and parsley from the garden...I also made this Filipino sour soup. With Pork and green beans, Swiss chard from the garden and a small amount of cabbage...when my mind is occupied my hands want to cook...so I brought it all here to Mom's house...


Well here is posting one for you... I have one more about the garden..mostly just photos...

2 comments:

  1. Hello Janice!
    Oh goodness both these recipes sound and look delicious. I think I'll have to write these out and try them out...thanks for sharing!
    Have a great weekend...
    Maura :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Maura for stopping in...I love your blog...try them the recipes I think you will like them we did...Mom and me...Happy weekend too...

    ReplyDelete