Thursday, October 27, 2011

Second Post today...read down ...


SWEET POTATO BISCUITS...I THOUGHT I RE-POST BECAUSE I WAS TRYING THEM AGAIN. I POSTED THESE IN THE BEGINNING OF WHEN I FIRST STARTED BLOGGING..AND I REALLY REALLY LIKE THEM.
Sweet Potato biscuits
One cup mashed, cooked sweet potato
1/4 cup sugar
One beaten egg
One tablespoon margarine or butter (I used butter) melted
One cup of milk...(I used 1/2 cup milk & 1/2 cup buttermilk)
3 cups of self rising flour
one teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup of shortening...(I didn't have shortening, lard)so I used margarine )

In a medium bowl, mix together sweet potato, sugar, egg and butter until smooth. Stir in milk and set aside.

Sift together flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (I used the butter and cut in with my hands and fingers) Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture and add the sweet potato mixture and stir until just combined.
Turn out onto a well floured surface...I added more flour because it was just to sticky...maybe 1/4 cup more..I know I used several large table spoons full. Knead gently for 10 to 12 strokes (you can judge the flour..just don't to much more just like I did...table spoons full ruffly.
Roll or pat dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2 in biscuit cutter..I just used a glass Mom don't have cutter here. Re-roll dough as necessary
Place biscuits one inch apart on large baking sheet.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 mins..checking the second batch I left it a little bit longer. or until slightly brown.
Makes 16 to 18 biscuits...
TODAY I USED A LITTLE BIT LESS FLOUR IN THE AFTER JUST DUSTED THE SURFACE WELL...
I LOVE THIS LITTLE BOWL PYREX W/LID NOT SURE IF THE LID BELONGS BUT IT FITS NICE.





WITH LOVE JANICE....

4 comments:

  1. I will have to give this recipe a go, I always have a bunch of sw.potato in my cupboards (some for my dog, as he loves it as a treat..funny dog I know :P). I never thought of using some for biscuits, I like the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O maggie they are so good...you will love um...I love love sweet potatoes so for me they are the bomb...lol..but everyone raves about them...hope you like them...hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice -- your blog is LOVELY! Thanks for visiting and leaving such a nice comment so I could find you :)

    Let me know if you like the biscuits.

    Blessings!
    Gail

    P.S. Miss Potter is one of my favorite movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Gail for joining me...I can't wait to try your biscuits...Ms Potter is my favorite movie as well..hugs for a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete